Skip to main content

Integrity

 Integrity is something that I became aware of in my twenties as I began to study the gospel and gain a testimony.  I wanted that sense of peace that I knew would only come from living an honest life.  That decision has been an incredible blessing.  It has taken a lot of work. I grew up afraid of harsh punishments and consequences for mistakes.  As a result, I discovered that if I just didn't say anything or if I lied, things would go smoother.  Lying and rationalization became a tool of survival.  As I learned about my Savior and began to partake of his atonement, I learned that I did not need this tool.  That in fact, it was a harmful tool that caused me deep pain, stunted my opportunities,  kept me from real relationships and created heavy anxiety.  Almost fifteen years later, I am amazed at the peace living a life of integrity brings.

 We read a talk by Sheri Dew on integrity this week where she says, "..trust, which can only be engendered in an atmosphere of integrity, is the keystone that holds every organization together–whether it is a marriage or a family, a business or a nation, or even the kingdom of God."  I absolutely have a testimony of this.  In fact, we have a rule in our home.  You will not get in trouble for anything in our house except being unkind and lying.   Our home is a house of practice.  We are all going to make mistakes.  We shouldn't be afraid to try and fail.   Lying however prevents any growth.  For example, if a someone were to spill paint on the floor and come get me, I will thank them for telling me because now we can find a solution.  However, if they don't tell me, then the mess might become a permanent stain as the window to clean it up closes.  I tell my kids all the time, "We can fix anything as long as you tell me."  

Here are the links to the talks we read this week:
https://www2.byui.edu/Presentations/Transcripts/Devotionals/2004_03_16_Dew.htm

http://www2.byui.edu/Presentations/Transcripts/Devotionals/2010_10_12_Robbins.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Supportive Culture

Year two of graduate school- I brought our two kids to the city so we could see Dad on Halloween This week we did mini case studies that dealt with choices of whether or not to spend time with family or focus on career and for whatever reason I wanted to get on a soapbox and share some amazing advice my grandmother gave me early in my marriage that has had a large influence on our family culture.   We had recently moved to Virginia but it felt more like I lived in Virginia with our firstborn and my husband lived in D.C. where he was working and going to school full-time.   He would leave every morning before we woke up and take the train to get to work and then he would get home after dark, exhausted and have to study.   Sunday was often the only day we spent together.   I complained to my Grandma about being a single mom and she in turn shared what she had just read about Brigham Young and mothers who came to him concerned that he was calling...

Rest

That's me in Ireland This week we wrapped up reading A Field Guide for the Hero's Journey which is a great collection of stories, poems and fables curated by Jeff Sanderer and the Reverend Robert Sirico.  They share their wisdom of how to find the road you should journey on in this life and how making that road matter will give you the most peace and satisfaction.  One part of their book that stood out to me was the principle of rest.  It is probably because I'm nearing the end of the semester, the Christmas season has started, two of my children have birthdays this week, my sister just got here from Kentucky with her two children, my husband is in Europe for the next two weeks and I just finished a large Relief Society/Service Dinner that I was in charge of.   I am okay and happy because I have learned to work hard, pray and the Lord will expand our capacity.  I have also learned to find quiet times and spaces in my life.  I have a testimon...

First Day's Introduction - First Steps

Welcome to my Q- That is what my husband calls his journal and I'm excited to start my own. I hope that through writing down my thought and experiences I will become more focused in my goals and seeing which step I need to take next.  This will be the making of me. This is where I am currently.  My name is Micaela Webb.  I also go by Mica pronounced Meeka.  I am a daughter of God.  I didn't always know this or understand what this meant.  I was blessed to discover my Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ when I was twenty-one. That moment began everything for me.  That moment showed me my potential and was a catalyst for change in my life.  I began to examine my life and choose which habits to let go of and which habits to begin developing.  It has been brutal and so rewarding. Through this process I have come to have a knowledge of who Jesus Christ is.  I know that he knows us each personally and perfectly and guides us to becomi...