Skip to main content

Supportive Culture



Year two of graduate school- I brought our two kids to the city so we could see Dad on Halloween

This week we did mini case studies that dealt with choices of whether or not to spend time with family or focus on career and for whatever reason I wanted to get on a soapbox and share some amazing advice my grandmother gave me early in my marriage that has had a large influence on our family culture.  We had recently moved to Virginia but it felt more like I lived in Virginia with our firstborn and my husband lived in D.C. where he was working and going to school full-time.  He would leave every morning before we woke up and take the train to get to work and then he would get home after dark, exhausted and have to study.  Sunday was often the only day we spent together.  I complained to my Grandma about being a single mom and she in turn shared what she had just read about Brigham Young and mothers who came to him concerned that he was calling their husbands to go on missions and they wouldn’t know their children.  Brigham Young told the mothers to teach their children the gospel, about the priesthood and the great things their husbands were doing.  He then promised them that when the children were older they would work in the fields with their father and they would love him.  She basically told me to knock it off and see the bigger picture.  I had a lot of influence in our home and could either create a supportive culture or a negative culture.  One of the privileges of being a Latter-day saint is that we have the long view. We know that as a couple we are creating an eternal partnership.  We know what we are building both in our own life and in our family’s life.  We should support our spouses in our journeys to multiply our talents and develop ourselves.  In our short thirteen years together I have learned that we each have had to take a turn at needing to lean heavily on the other for support.  This is the purpose of family counsels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest

That's me in Ireland This week we wrapped up reading A Field Guide for the Hero's Journey which is a great collection of stories, poems and fables curated by Jeff Sanderer and the Reverend Robert Sirico.  They share their wisdom of how to find the road you should journey on in this life and how making that road matter will give you the most peace and satisfaction.  One part of their book that stood out to me was the principle of rest.  It is probably because I'm nearing the end of the semester, the Christmas season has started, two of my children have birthdays this week, my sister just got here from Kentucky with her two children, my husband is in Europe for the next two weeks and I just finished a large Relief Society/Service Dinner that I was in charge of.   I am okay and happy because I have learned to work hard, pray and the Lord will expand our capacity.  I have also learned to find quiet times and spaces in my life.  I have a testimon...

First Day's Introduction - First Steps

Welcome to my Q- That is what my husband calls his journal and I'm excited to start my own. I hope that through writing down my thought and experiences I will become more focused in my goals and seeing which step I need to take next.  This will be the making of me. This is where I am currently.  My name is Micaela Webb.  I also go by Mica pronounced Meeka.  I am a daughter of God.  I didn't always know this or understand what this meant.  I was blessed to discover my Heavenly Father and his son Jesus Christ when I was twenty-one. That moment began everything for me.  That moment showed me my potential and was a catalyst for change in my life.  I began to examine my life and choose which habits to let go of and which habits to begin developing.  It has been brutal and so rewarding. Through this process I have come to have a knowledge of who Jesus Christ is.  I know that he knows us each personally and perfectly and guides us to becomi...